Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Brain Dump - July 2nd

Click here to read yesterday's brain dump.

Click here to read Cetelia's brain dumps.



a. Where do I start? After yesterday's post, I was inundated with a flood of support. I was overwhelemed, and grateful.

b. I heard a lot of good things today, and thought I'd share them ...

1.  Never doubt in the darkness what you heard in the light. This was a reminder to go with what I believe I heard God told me, regardless of how dark things may look/get. (thanks, DA)

2.  Whenever you take big step of faith, people will question it. Folks never question the small, normal steps you take. But, when your act is radical and goes against conventional thinking, questions from well-meaning people will start. There's nothing wrong with the questions. Just be know what you heard, and be prepared to keep stepping out in faith. (thanks, again, DA)

3.  Don’t confuse God’s silence for His inactivity. Even when it looks like God is missing, like in Joseph's story in Genesis, God is still active, around, and working. (thanks, RF)

DB sent this: "Loved that you dumped your brain KB!  The authenticity of you and how you live your life is encouraging to your friends and those who follow your ministry."

I've been told that I'm "common" and honest to a fault. Hey, if my transparency - no matter how exposed I feel - can help someone see that Christianity can be messy, yet God is there in Christ to help us get it together, then I'm fine with that.

There were so many more encouraging words I heard today, and I'd be typing for a while if I included them all.

c. I received a well-deserved blast by LJ. I had not returned his call in three weeks, and he let me have it. While it stung to hear him in go in on me, I put myself in his shoes, and I understood where he was coming from, and it reminded me of Proverbs 27:6, "Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy." He showed his love & friendship by being honest with the Ol' KBB.

d. After LJ got his frustration off his chest, we talked for another 35 minutes, and he was very helpful (as always). Although the call was delayed by three weeks, I believe it was right on time.

e. I mentioned that my sis-in-law would punk me for crying in the library yesterday (I've had a few tearful moments in her presence, so now they're all funny to her). Here's the text she sent me: "Sooo... was it a whimpering, sniveling or weeping cry or more like a sobbing, blubbering, hyperventilating cry?? LOL!"

f. I said today that I would take a step with God today. I didn't realize what I was saying. That's what he wants me to take. I tend to try to take it all in at once. That leaves me worried, frustrated, and burnt out. He's not looking for me to do all that. He wants me to go step-by-step with him.

g. I have a lot of maturing to do. I was talking to JG today, and realized that I graduated from the stage of "doing good." I used to be caught up in that. That's no longer an issue for me. I recognize I've been made holy because of Christ, so now I walk it out by his grace. Am I perfect? No. But, I'm still moving forward.

h. Now, I realize I'm in the stage of being great. I really want what I do to have an impact - to reach people, and to grow to a place where I can sufficiently take care of my family. That leads me to overworking, and ultimately pursuing second-best for what is best. I've noticed this also leads me to freaking out when things go awry. This is an area where I need to mature.

i. Another area where maturity is necessary is not "quitting" on God during tough times. CM sent me this scripture today: "Since God has so generously let us in on what He is doing, we're not about to throw up our hands and walk off the job just because we run into occasional hard times." (2 Corinthians 4:1, MSG). I've noticed my tendency to "throw up my hands and walk off the job" when what God said doesn't appear to be happening (see b3). That's immature behavior. I'm glad has called me on it. 

j. More than one person today, both older than me, talked about the journey. That's perspective. I'm hopeful I'm gaining it not only as I age, but as I go through different situations. I don't want these tough times to be for naught, and I do not want to keep going around the same mountain.

k. I read a scripture this morning that set the stage for my day, which probably like yours, had ups and downs: “We are pressed on every side by troubles, but not crushed and broken. We are perplexed because we don’t know why things happen as they do, but we don’t give up and quit. We are hunted down, but God never abandons us. We get knocked down, but we get up again and keep going.“ (2 Corinthians 4:8-9 (Living)

l. AB said, "Many of the hard places in life are necessary parts of the overall journey. There will always be another day."

m. JG mentioned Ali, and how he said the mark of a champion was how many times one got up - not knocked down. I feel like the righteous man who has fallen. But, I'm getting up (cue Donnie McClurkin).

n. Double-Dub lovingly challenged me to be grateful. She recounted some of the things that have gone / are going wrongly in her life -- things I am not dealing with, and do not want to encounter. After reading her message, I reminded that I have a choice to make all day everyday: gripe or be grateful. I'll close this dump with an excerpt from her Sermon Over the Email:

The devil likes to keep me there, reminding me of what I do not have, but God always keeps me in perfect peace and reminds me of what I have right in front of me (if I'll stop complaining and open my eyes) and what's yet to come.

Touche!

So, to practice what Double-Dub said, I'm grateful that you're reading this. I still can't figure out why you're taking time to read what's running through my mind, but I need you to know that I appreciate it. It makes me feel loved. I'm hopeful that it's helping you as much as it's helping me.

See you tomorrow.